Home                              Our Schools

 

A BRIEF HISTORY OF OUR SCHOOL

There has been a school for the education of Catholic children in Euxton for at least 165 years.

The original school was housed in Dawbers Lane, in one of the "battlement-topped" houses alongside the Euxton Hall estate (now the Old School House, Old Dawbers Lane). The 1841 Census identified one John Williams as a "Dissenting Teacher", by 1851 the school is identified as "School Cottage" with three "Grammatical Teachers": James and Mary Moore and Catherine Bennett, whilst in 1861 the address is given as "School House" with two teachers: Louisa Connelly (Certified Teacher) and Esther Daglish (Assistant Teacher).

In 1866 a purpose-built school was erected alongside the then newly-built church. 

The current Primary School building opened in 1965, and has been improved and extended in the intervening 40 years. There is full and active cooperation between Parish and School on the religious and pastoral development of the children, with a thriving PTFA in place. The school has a first class educational record, with the latest OFSTED report being excellent. Full details of the primary school may be found by following the link:

http://www.st-marys-rc19.lancsngfl.ac.uk/

 

The Parish is part of Leyland Deanery and our primary school acts as feeder to Leyland St Mary's Catholic Technology College, details of which may be found by following the link:

http://www.st-marys-rc-tech.lancsngfl.ac.uk/